Alert Level 1
Unwell patients (at alert level 1)
Cold & flu assessment and COVID-19 testing is currently free to our patients.
Please do not enter Selwyn Village Healthcare if you are unwell, even if you have had a negative test, are fully vaccinated, or believe you are otherwise low risk for COVID-19. This includes patients with any cold & flu symptoms, including:
- New or worsening cough
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
- Coryza – head cold (eg, runny nose, sneezing, post-nasal drip)
- Anosmia – loss of sense of smell.
To be cautious we are treating all patients with cold & flu symptoms as if they may have COVID-19.
If you have cold & flu symptoms please do not enter Selwyn Village Healthcare
- Call us during working hours on (03) 366 8970 for an initial phone assessment
- Following a phone assessment you may be examined using standard techniques to prevent the spread of infection
- We will recommend and can provide a COVID-19 test in adults, even for those who are low risk for catching COVID-19
- If you have cold & flu symptoms but feel that you do not require medical assessment, we can still provide COVID-19 testing OR you can ‘walk in’ at one of Christchurch’s testing centers without a referral / appointment
- Isolation: Those who are high risk for COVID-19 will be advised to self isolate. Most of our patients are low risk, however you should still stay home while you are sick, even after you have received a negative test for COVID-19. More information can be found on Healthinfo.org.nz
We are actively trying to reduce the risk of COVID-19 to our community & staff while continuing to provide high quality medical care.
Advice for our patients
- We are set up to offer phone consultations for appointments if you think you won’t need to be examined
- When in the building, you’re welcome to wear your own face mask and use the hand sanitiser provided
- Feel free to bring your own toys if needed to entertain children, ours have been removed for infection control reasons
- Remember to stay vigilant with using your COVID Tracer app
- To protect our community, most of our staff have now received the full course of COVID-19 vaccination
For those who are well & have been advised by Public Health to self-isolate, please call us to discuss your healthcare needs
We recommend the use of the COVID-19 vaccine, based on our assessment of the available information regarding safety and effectiveness.
Vaccination is being prioritised for certain groups in New Zealand. You can work out your priority level (1-4) for vaccination using the NZ COVID-19 website. Canterbury residents can find out when their priority group is being invited for vaccination through the CDHB COVID-19 website. CDHB tells us they are currently contacting priority group 3 to invite them for vaccination. We haven’t been involved in these invitations & are unable to confirm or change when you will be invited.
Vaccination in Canterbury is currently being provided through a small number of specially set up clinics. We haven’t been advised yet if/when we could provide vaccination to our patients at Selwyn Village Healthcare, but we will keep you updated here and through our News page as information becomes available.